Everybody knows that we need to eat more vegetables. The problem is that a lot of people (myself included) still injoy things like chocolate and baked goods. Well my friends, look no further for the recipe which perfectly combines dessert with a sweet and delectable vegetable.
What You Need
- 2 flax or chia eggs¹
- 1 cup roasted beet puree²
- 1/8 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/8 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt or himalayan
- 1 1/4 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1/2 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups spelt flour (I used sprouted spelt flour)
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips + a little extra for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375º. Scrub your beets with a brush to get any dirt off. Cut off the tops and tails. Coat them in coconut oil (I take a chunk when it’s solid and just rub it on with my fingers), and place in an oven dish to roast for 30-60 minutes. The length of roast time depends on how big your beet is. You might want to cut bigger ones into halves or quarters. Once you can easily stick a fork into the beet, remove from the oven and let cool down.
- Turn oven down to 350º
- Next prepare the flax/chia egg in a large bowl & line your muffin tin with liners.
- Once the egg is ready, put everything in the bowl except for the beets, flour, cocoa, and chocolate chips.
- By now the beets should be cool enough and the skin should peel off very easily. Peel them and place them into a food processor and puree until smooth. Then scrape the puree into the mixing bowl.
- Stir this mixture until well combined.
- Dump the flour and cocoa into the bowl and mix GENTLY! It is super important not to over mix muffins, if you do they will be hard instead of fluffy 🙂 Mix it just until the dry is fully combined with the wet. It should be a scoopable consistency, as opposed to pourable.
- Now stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into the muffin cups. You should be able to make a dozen 🙂
- Press some extra chocolate chips into the tops before placing in the oven for 17-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lava-style: to stuff the centre of the muffin with chocolate chips so the gooey deliciousness oozes out
¹ Combine 1 tbsp flax or chia seeds with 3 tbsp luke-warm water. You can tell it’s ready when the seeds swell up and absorb the water making a gelatinous consistency.
² To make one cup of beet puree, aim for 2 large beets or 5 small. Use your best judgement, it’s better to make a little extra to eat plain or add to dressings/salads.